Reflex for NetNewsWire
- 8:56 PM 28 November 2006
- 8:51 PM 29 May 2011
Ollicle Reflex in an evolutionary improvement on my last NetNewsWire style - Ollicle Flex.
This style is designed to maximise legibility rather than add distracting ‘style’ to your feed reading. Those who like a bit of colour and visual impact in their feed reading will appreciate it’s smart handling of full size photographs and comics.
Download and install (Updated see: Ollicle Reflex refined.)
Download latest version: Ollicle Reflex
I have removed the link to Ollicle Reflex Black. There is a new method.) for setting black as the default background.
Double-click the unzipped .nnwstyle file and NetNewsWire will copy it to where it needs to be.
- NetNewsWire Preferences
- News Items
- News Items
Carried over from Flex (with improvements!)
- Auto line-height to suit your selection of window layout (the loading ‘jump’ has been minimised).
- Images scale to fit window width (padding related stretching bug fixed).
- Choice of two layouts (selection saved per feed).
- Doesn’t interfere with your choice of font and text size.
- A new preference ‘UI’.
- Optional black background (nice for images).
- Inline feed styles stripped for consistent feed legibility.
- Some small tweaks to the display of images.
- Fixed position news title now only appears when you scroll down the page.
Mostly I continue to work on styles for NetNewsWire to please myself. Regardless, I am interested to hear your ideas on improving your reading experience.
Behind the scenes
Finding the path
Seeing the obvious
Until next time
In the meantime it’s working for me - I hope it works for you!
29 December 2006
New feature - Black skin default
A significant number of you have politely requested a means to use the black skin by default. So I’ve spent a some of my hard earned holiday time to post a new version (3) of Ollicle Reflex with a trick up it’s sleeve.
You may change the default skin by changing the name of the unzipped file:
- for white use ‘Ollicle Reflex.nnwstyle’
- for black use exactly ‘Ollicle Reflex black.nnwstyle’.
Double-click the file to install it and you’re done!
Also note: if you have a previous version of Reflex installed - installing the new version with the altered name will leave the older version in place. To remove NetNewsWire styles you can delete (or move) them from:
If you make changes to files directly in this folder you will need to restart NetNewsWire to see the result.
25 April 2007
To thank everyone who spent the time to send me feedback on this style I’ve updated it. The new version fixes a couple of popular problems and introduces some del.icio.us love.
10 March 2008
Another update with a bunch of improvements: Ollicle Reflex refined